Τρίτη 15 Νοεμβρίου 2011

What can Afghanistan and Bosnia teach us about Libya?

guardian.co.uk
Recently returned from Tripoli, Rory Stewart asks if the key to success is doing less, not more

Rory Stewart

The Guardian, Saturday 8 October 2011

I have spent most of my adult life working on, and in, interventions. I began as a junior diplomat with East Timor, served in the Balkans and in Iraq, then spent a few years in Afghanistan. But none of this made me feel I could predict the future of Libya as I entered Tripoli in August. There were echoes of Baghdad in the masked men holding on to truck-mounted anti-aircraft guns and shouting Allahu Akbar at an angry crowd outside the bank. Was this the prelude to a sudden flurry of looting, then, after a few months, sullen resentment, riots, roadside bombs and rockets falling into the foreign compounds? Would Libya, like the Iraq or Afghan interventions, eventually suck in billions of dollars, thousands of lives, and achieve little more than trauma, corruption and insecurity?...more...
read more: guardian.co.uk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/08/libya-intervention-rory-stewart

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου