Δευτέρα 30 Μαΐου 2011

Why did Ratko Mladić's arrest take so long?

guardian.co.uk
I will never forget the horror in the eyes of Srebrenica refugees. Sixteen years on, my faith in international justice has waned
Arnel Hecimovic

guardian.co.uk,
Sixteen years after the bloody Bosnian war, Ratko Mladić has been arrested. As a Bosnian who lived through the war, I should be feeling ecstatic. But with every passing year my trust in international justice has waned and my scepticism grown stronger. Friends have occasionally asked whether I thought Mladić would ever be arrested. "Maybe, if there is political will or if he becomes too much of a weight around the neck of the Serbian government," I would answer.

Ratko Mladić and his actions have altered my life – though luckily not as dramatically or as horrifically as the lives of others. As early as June 1992 I was exposed – through my job as an interpreter for the foreign press – to terrible stories of people who were kicked out of their homes in Krajina (western Bosnia). Their stories were different, but whether they were coming from Ključ, Banja Luka, Prijedor, Kozarac, Drvar or any other village and hamlet captured by the Bosnian Serbs, all those accounts had a common theme....more...
read more: guardian.co.uk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/26/ratko-mladic-arrest-srebrenica-refugees

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου