Δευτέρα 30 Μαΐου 2011

What to tell my daughter about Srebrenica

guardian.co.uk
News of Ratko Mladic's arrest tugged at my gut. It was a long time coming but I feel no solace

Vesna Maric
guardian.co.uk,
Last year, when my daughter was just a few months old, I walked past an open-air exhibition at London's South Bank, a photographic project related to the Srebrenica massacre. On the photographs mothers held hand-written testimonies in creased fists, stories of their lost sons.

Almost 16 years on some bodies have not been found, only clothing and personal objects scattered across mass graves. The bones had been mixed up, the murdered men jumbled together by bulldozers operated by Ratko Mladic's men to make identification more difficult. And though I have always appreciated my fortune at leaving Bosnia alive and healthy – the death of several family members and friends notwithstanding – having a child of my own has opened up an understanding of loss that I now realise was previously incomplete....more....
read more: guardian.co.uk
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/27/my-daughter-srebrenica-ratko-mladic

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου